Once you have a UAE residence visa and if you want to drive a car (private or leased) in the UAE, you must apply for a UAE driving licence. International and foreign driving licences are valid
for use only up to the date on which the residence visa is issued. Many countries are given the option of a straightforward UAE conversion. (See Transferring a foreign driving licence). However, if you are not eligible for a direct exchange you will have to re-sit a theory and practical driving test.
- UAE resident
- Aged 18 or older
- Has driving licence from home country.
What to bring
- Passport with residence visa (copy and original)
- No objection certificate (NOC) from employer or sponsor
- Existing driving licence
- Eight passport-sized photographs
- Eye test certificate, available at any RTA-approved optician in Dubai for Dhs.50-100.
- RTA-approved driving school
- The driving school will handle all the necessary paperwork with the Roads & Transport Authority (RTA) on your behalf.
- You will be given a temporary driving licence.
- Your school will apply for your theory and road test on your behalf.
- If you fail the road test, you will be required to take eight driving lessons and re-sit the practical.
Latest NewsView More
Downtown Dubai, dubbed the ‘Centre of Now’, and the nearby dynamic financial district, are hotspots for t...
There is much more than stores and eateries at The Dubai Mall, one of the world’s largest shopping destinations...
The UAE continues to develop at pace and almost every week makes incredible announcements. There are too many formid...
The culinary culture in Dubai takes a detour from its usual gastronomic delights to introduce a new breed of ‘m...
Traditional office settings too mundane? Or perhaps one too many distractions while working from home? We have the so...